Monday, April 7, 2008

On The Wild Side - Autumn Romance

Sunday, October 23, 2005

A couple days ago Nathan and I had the fortune to witness romance in the wild. Nathan was happily and purposely scouting the yard, net in hand, poised for action should a flying bug cross his vision. All of a sudden he shouted out in excitement. "Two Dragonfies!" Oh boy. A bonus awaiting his capture!

I responded by raising my voice, so as to be heard over the rushing sound certain to be invading his brainwaves. "Nathan! No! Wait!" I was only mildly surprised when he obeyed my command and stopped, gazing at me with a confused expression. He didn't have to say anything. I could see it written all over his face, plain as day..."But, Mom! Why?"

I smiled and pointed in the direction I'd seen the dragonflies take, "Lets go look!"We both rushed over and saw a marvelous sight! There, on the ground before us were not two, but three dragonflies, seemingly in a wrestling match. It seemed rather unfair as there were two on top with one struggling underneath. As we watched, and listened to the wrestling, the buzzing, one of the top two suddenly just gave up, flying off in one direction. The remaining two hesitated but a second before flying off in another direction, fastened securely together, one directly above the other.

Nathan thought all this quite interesting, although he wasn't sure the interesting aspect overrode the bonus capture he had just missed. Once I explained they were making more dragonflies, he rethought that. Oh good! More dragonflies to capture!

I was thinking more along the lines of more dragonflies to grace our presence as they worked to rid us of less desireable bugs but, I guess, maybe my mind works a bit differently than that of an eight year old boy.

No comments: