Monday, April 7, 2008

April Fools A Little Early?

Sunday, March 30, 2008

It is early spring on the Southern Oregon Coast, where snow is a relatively rare event, even during the winter months. Currently we are enjoying the early signs of new life all around us. The fir trees are adorned with the fresh,tender, light green sprouts at the ends of their boughs. Wildflowers are springing up (I've even been gifted with my first wildflower bouquet, specially picked and arranged by my children), and the Daffodils are awake.

This morning, on the 30th day of March, a mere two days until April is officially upon us, I was awakened by my 9 year old daughter.

She had a big smile on her face, as she excitedly announced, "It snowed!"

"What!!?!!"

She laughed, and insisted I get up to see for myself. Of course I complied, although I really wasn't totally convinced. Every member of my little family has been known to have a bit of the prankster in them, after all...I got up. I wandered into the living room, and glanced out the window, where I saw not only a generous dusting of snow covering the ground, but more white flakes descending from the sky.

The white stuff didn't last long. Within 2 hours of our unexpected wintery diversion, the sun was out, and the outside thermometer was reading near 80ยบ

I guess Mother Nature has a sense of humor after all.

No comments: