Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Best Of Intentions

I had every intention of posting an update on Sunday. Not sure if it was the weather, the past week's activities catching up with me or what, but I just couldn't seem to find the motivation to do much of anything. It was just a lazy Sunday.

By the end of the day I figured what the heck, everyone's too busy to stop and browse blogs on Sunday's anyway, so I'd just wait and post on Monday. For some reason, other than the obligatory school, Monday seemed to be a repeat of Sunday. And so it went.

Somehow, Pa and I have been managing to take turns in the kitchen lately. He fixes dinner one day, I the next. Or, on occasion we may take two day rotations. Either way, we're managing purty durn close to equal time in the kitchen, which is fun, and offers a nice variety as we have similar, yet decidedly different techniques.

Saturday evening Pa cooked up some chicken outside on the grill. Since Nathan prefers his chicken skinless, Pa removed the skin before hand, combined it in a skillet with a slice of bacon and a bit of onion and created a gravy to go with the rice he planned for a side dish. It was a yummy early Sunday meal.

After consuming our dinner we popped in the kids' viewing choice for the evening. Honey, I Blew Up The Kid turned out to be the perfect end of a day for the whole family. Although certainly not a plausible situation, it was good, clean family entertainment and the appearance of Lloyd Bridges was a pleasant surprise for both Pa and me.

Sunday evening, after dining on one of my creations, a basic goulash, employing ground turkey with an eye towards the health of both our bodies and our budget, and 1/2 cup of previously frozen fresh chopped basil left over from an earlier experiment, which imparted an enjoyable taste variation, Pa and I sat down to watch our movie of the week, The Pentagon Wars, starring Kelsey Grammer. Based on a true story of the recent past, which many of us may recognize, skillfully portrayed as a comedy which we found rather fitting, as it is one of those things that you either have to laugh or cry over the whole thing. Considering it is all over and done with now, I suppose we may as well allow ourselves a chuckle, while hoping lessons were learned, and policies changed.

After several days of on again off again sunshine split up by cloudy skies and sprinkles, last night Mother Nature cut loose with oodles of rain. As far as I can tell, it rained all night and is still coming down in buckets. My best guess is, once our school day is over, the kids will either be opting to curl up with a couple good books, or perhaps I'll be hearing that timeless refrain all parents are so very familiar with, "I'm bored! What can I do?" The bigger question might be, shall I come up with a creative fun project for them to wile away the hours? Or, should I give in to temptation and enlist their oh so capable hands and minds in assistance with the reorganization project I've been wanting to get started on? Hmmmm. It's a tough choice. Depending on how quickly we manage to get through our days lessons, maybe we could manage a bit of both...

No comments: