Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Bit O Wood And Knittin' !

Yesterday was another fun filled yet busy day. We spent the afternoon about 2 miles away from our house, gleaning yet more wood. Looking around it was amazing to us to realize just how close we are to the home of the wild and the free. I guess it probably shouldn't be all that surprising, considering the wildlife that has visited our yard throughout the years. We expect to return to this site several times in the coming weeks, and will try to remember to take the time out from the fun and the work to get some photos.

In the meantime I do have a photo to share with you...I finally finished my very first knitted garment that I designed myself. I really had a lot of fun with it, starting with the idea of a basic textured t-shirt style. Naturally, as with my kitchen experiments, I become a bit more creative as the garment began taking shape . As well as being my first attempt at designing, it also included my very first placket !

There was a reason I chose this shirt for my first attempt. After searching what seemed like endless sources for a pattern for a short sleeved light shirt for a teen or preteen boy I was becoming more than a little frustrated. The only patterns I could find for that size range were for warm, bulky sweaters! Although I have nothing against sweaters, our winters don't tend to be cold enough for the most part to warrant such garments as everyday wear, so I wanted something a bit lighter, more of a year round type garment. Finally I decided to heck with it. If I couldn't find what I wanted, then I'd just have to create one of my own. The following photo shows the result of my grand experiment. Pictured with Nathan, is Lindsay, sporting the lighter weight garment I knitted for her over the summer. I found the pattern for Lindsay's top online but found the fit was off around the neckline, so we did some modifications. Lindsay and I were both very happy with the end result. And didn't my children chose nice yarn for their garments?

3 comments:

My Little Room In The Corner said...

Wow have you come a long way since dishclothes! Gotta give you a prize!!! Both look great and yes, the young'uns did a wonderful job on the yarn picks.

Unknown said...

I'm way behind commenting around here. Thank you for the nice award! I can't believe you knitted those for the kiddo's. That's amazing...I'm in total awe of anyone that can figure a knitting pattern out.

HDMac said...

They look GREAT! Yes, they did pick wonderful yarn. Fantastic job!!!!!!